Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Brooklyn Jane is One!

REFLECTIONS ON MY FIRST YEAR OF MOTHERHOOD

"Can you believe it's been a year?"

This is probably the most common question I have been asked lately. And I'm not quite sure what to answer. In some ways, of course I feel like it's been a year--just think how much Bri's and my life has changed in one year, how smitten we have become with someone other than each other, and how much that little someone has grown and developed. But then, I think, time always seems like it has gone fast when you are looking back on it.

"Enjoy her all you can, they grow up so fast."

This is probably the most common thing I have heard from people this year--from friends with older kids, to aging grandparents, to complete strangers at the grocery store. And I've tried just as hard as I can to savor the moments, but by golly she STILL is growing up on me! There is nothing I can do. It just happens, subtly each day without even being able to perceive it.

"Just WAIT..."

I sometimes hear parents say this followed by horror stories of the different stages of raising children.I know as parents sometimes we need to vent, and I will not claim that I have never complained. But comments like these make me sad! I heard it so much when I was pregnant that I finally had to put it out of my mind and decide that I was going to experience motherhood as it came to me, and not tainted by a filter of negative expectations.  I am trying to be a believer in things to look forward to, in enjoying each stage of life for the good it brings. "Life just gets better and better." That's a one-liner Bri always says that I treasure and remind myself of often.

The other night Brooklyn was crying at 3 something a.m. I grumbled and got out of bed and began to rock her back to sleep, dreaming of days when she won't need this anymore. And then this thought came to my mind: "She won't always be a one-year-old. So don't stress about the challenges because there is so much to cherish, even in this moment in the middle of the night when you might rather be sleeping, and she has fallen asleep with her head on your shoulder, her warm little body snuggled on your chest. Nope, she won't always need you to do this. She won't always be one."

I don't care what people say about terrible twos, messy young children, and downright frightful teenagers. I choose not to dread the future and what challenges it may bring, but instead look forward to what joys lie ahead: a two-year-old who can say, "I love you, Mama"; a young child who I can make messes with and laugh about it; a teenager who I can talk to about the most important things and be amazed at the inner strength she already has.

So to women anticipating motherhood, I say "just wait." Just wait until your baby smiles for the first time, until she starts to recognize you as her favorite person in the world, until she takes her first stumbling steps. Just wait until she adds a dimension of purpose to your life that you have never experienced before, and she helps you become a more selfless and happy person than you ever could be without her.


BROOKLYN'S BIRTHDAY PARTY!

I know she didn't care and she won't remember that she had a first birthday party, but I sure had fun planning and throwing Brooklyn's party! Bri and I felt like it was more a celebration of us completing our first year of parenthood with a healthy, ALIVE baby! We had awesome weather at the park, and there were almost as many kids as adults at the party. Brian's parents helped a lot with the food; they are such awesome grandparents! Brooklyn ate some of her cupcake...until her hands got so sticky with frosting--she did NOT like that! She had fun opening her presents (AKA sitting on my lap while I opened her presents). Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here ya go!

 





2 comments:

  1. I love this! I have always enjoyed the "just wait" moments. I love when my kids become independent; I love when I can start having conversations with them; I love when they make a mess and can actually clean it up themselves 😂. You guys are doing a great job with her and I am excited for you as you all embark on year two with her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Liv! Motherhood is the most amazing thing ever and you are a great one!

    ReplyDelete